Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Today is my very first Mother's Day. For years this day has been emotional for me... I would see all the other women lucky enough to be moms celebrating on Facebook and I wanted more than anything for that to be me. Well this year, I am finally a mom! And Nate did a fantastic job making me feel special and spoiled on my first Mother's Day weekend.

It started off on Friday. I've been pointing to Callum and saying his name, then pointing to me and saying, "Mama" for a few weeks now. I did it again on Friday while feeding him lunch, and he looked right at me and said "Mama!" in this perfect clear little voice. It was definitely a word not a sound! Of course I burst into tears after I flew down the stairs to tell my mom. What a perfect Mother's Day gift! Now, I know at 6 months he doesn't really know that I am "Mama" but the fact he said it was good enough for me. He's going to be a talker just like his good old mom.

Friday evening we grilled up steaks, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom. For dessert, we had cake that Nate had bought me for Mother's Day and mom had some of the fantastic chocolate gluten free cupcakes with cream cheese icing I had made earlier that day. After dinner we exchanged gifts with my mom. She had bought me a few tank tops from the "pugs" and then some much needed pjs from her and Callum. I had bought her a necklace and matching ring she had been coveting on Pinterest, and Callum gave her a family stone necklace and a framed picture of him and his Yammi.

Saturday morning, Nate and Callum took me out for brunch at Barb and Ernie's, our favourite breakfast joint. We decided on Saturday to avoid the insane Mother's Day crowds. Callum was so cute, he sat in one of the "big boy" restaurant highchairs for the first time and he loved. He is so strong for 6.5 months and had no problem at all. He even ate all his breakfast (mixed cereal and fruit)! We spent the rest of the day doing some shopping and we even took a little walk to the small Farmer's Market in SEC. In that 20 minute span, my litte fair-complexioned son managed to sunburn his cheeks! I now have baby sunblock on hand to avoid that for the future.

On Sunday, my brother showed up with flowers for my mom around 11, which is when we all woke up. Notice I said all... Callum slept right through the night with no early morning feeding! Mommy and Daddy had a great sleep thanks to that. I received a card from Mike for my first Mother's Day (aw!) and after we all hung out and had lunch at home, Nate and I packed up Callum and headed to my SIL's place for Mother's Day Supper with his family. Nate's mom bought me a gorgeous Pandora charm for my bracelet which was so sweet of her. When we got home, we wrapped up the evening watching TV and relaxing. It was the best Mother's Day weekend ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment