Tuesday, May 1, 2012

You are half a year old!!!


Dear Callum,

Yesterday you turned 6 months old. I don't know how that happened... it feels like I only gave birth to you a couple of months ago!

So much has happened in the last 6 months, and we have loved every single second of it. You are such an incredibly good baby. You have slept through the night since you were about 6-8 weeks old. You rarely fuss, except when you want booby NOW or if your teeth are bugging you. Speaking of which, you have one tooth on your bottom right already and you are working on the other. You've had that tooth for about a week now. Yesterday, you sat by yourself for a whole 15 minutes unassisted. You had been working up to it all week, and then BAM!, you turned 6 months and was like, "I can sit now. I'm 6 months old!". Your datta, Yammi, and I are in constant awe of you. We probably say about 100 times a day "He is so frigging cute!" or "What a smart baby he is!" "I can't believe how he's growing, he's so amazing!". Yeah, I'd say we are pretty smitten. Oh and your LAUGH! Oh my god, you have the most infectious smile and even more infectious laugh. We pride ourselves at making you laugh hysterical every single day and by the time we go to bed, our faces hurt and our tummy muscles are aching from laughing with you.

Every day you have more and more hair. You were born with a decent amount of chick fuzz, but lost it around 2 months old. You had a bald phase there for a while (which you totally rocked by the way with your cute round head and chubby cheeks) but slowly you have been growing hair and no longer can we refer to you as our little baldy.

You LOVE water. Sometimes during bath time you won't even look at me because you are too busy splashing and kicking with glee. You prefer deep baths that allow you to "float" with our assistance, but any type of water will do. We've taken you swimming twice now, and you love that just as much. It doesn't phase you in the least. While all the other little babies are freaking out about being in the pool, you don't bat an eyelash at getting doused in the shower or being plunked into the water. If you get water in your face, you act like it's no big deal. Considering I'm pretty sure your father is part fish, and if you get me, Yammi, or Uncle Muncle near an ocean you are unlikely to get us back out until we are sunburned and wrinkled, this is no big surprise.

I am also incredibly proud that we are still breastfeeding 6 months later. Depending on your age when reading this, you are probably going "ew gross mom!!" but too bad. I'm proud. It was a big deal to me to get to be pregnant after trying all of those years, and one of things I was looking forward to most was breastfeeding. That dream was almost taken away due to a milk supply that never fully came in and some physical problems with my breasts (yes I know, ew!) but thanks to a lactation consultant and a device called an SNS which we fondly refer to as your booby bag, we are still going strong at 6 months. You often nurse for comfort in bed without the SNS too, which makes your momma's heart swell.

As for food, you are your mama's boy for sure. You LOVE solid food. You are a pretty polite eater too, which you certainly did not get from me. So far I'd have to say your favourites are cereal, butternut squash, and pears. We started you just after you turned 5 months because you would not. stop. staring(!) at our food and grabbing for it. And then I woke up one day and was like, "I want to feed him food!". So we did, on Good Friday, for the first time. You made some really hilarious faces and then you went to town eating what we gave you.

I love you so much little man. I cannot put into words how much I love you because it is so immense. My very favourite part of the day is when daddy brings you to bed with me after he's fed you before going to work. You nurse and snuggle in next to me, and then we sleep for another 4 hours or so. You got your love of sleep from both of us, and we couldn't be prouder!

Being a mom is all that I hoped it would be and more. It is easier than I thought and harder at the same time. Being a mom is easy, but the worrying and emotions that come with the job are the hard part.

Love always and forever and ever,

Mama
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment